If you’ve ever been to the city of brotherly love you know that you can’t leave without trying a famous cheesesteak. There are plenty of amazing restaurants in Philly that will serve you an amazing sandwich. But sometimes you want to take a piece of the city home with you.
Are you wondering how to make a Philly cheesesteak on your own? Keep reading for this guide on executing the ultimate recipe for a delicious cheesesteak.
Get the Right Ingredients
The first thing you want to do is gather all the right Philly cheesesteak ingredients for an authentic experience. Everyone likes their sandwich made a little differently but there are some key components to include.
You’ll want to get a good-cut steak to start with. This is the foundation of making sure your sandwich is a success. Grab a ribeye steak that’s thinly sliced so it’s quicker and easier to cook down.
Next, you’ll need the cheeses that make these steaks what they are. Typically, you’ll find most restaurants using American or provolone cheese. And for the special added Philadelphian effect─ cheese whiz!
The rest of the ingredients give the cheesesteak that incredible mouthwatering flavor so you don’t want to skip out on these. You’ll need onions, green peppers (optional), and a fresh hoagie roll. Having basic seasonings like salt, pepper and a specific meat seasoning is good enough for making a Philly cheesesteak on your own.
How to Make a Philly Cheesesteak
Now it’s time to actually learn how to make a Philly cheesesteak the right way. Make sure you’ve gathered all your ingredients and follow these instructions:
- Start with chopping up your steak, onions and peppers (if you’re using them)
- Put oil to a medium-low skillet and fry onions and peppers until browned
- Remove fried onions and peppers from skillet and put on a dish
- Place chopped steak to the pan, season and cook until browned (try a combination of Lawry’s seasoning salt, a little garlic powder, salt and pepper)
- Add slices of cheese on top of your skillet combination and cook until melted
- Slit roll down the middle and place contents from pan on the bread. Add cheese whiz on top (or open roll to spread throughout sandwich)
- Serve hot and enjoy!
One of the keys to making sure you get a good texture to your sandwich is cooking the steak correctly. Philly restaurants that sell top quality cheesesteaks like www.boosphilly.com are typically made on flat grills and chopped as the meat cooks. This is why it’s best to get a thinly cut piece so it’s easier to breakdown.
Try This Philly Cheesesteak Recipe
You can have a delicious cheesesteak whether you’re in the city or not. Flow this recipe to learn how to make a Philly cheesesteak on your own and never miss out on a chance to chow down on this tasty treat.
Enjoyed this learning how to make this meal? Check out the rest of our blog for more recipes and food talk.