If you are looking for a delicious roasted duck, then you will want to read this article. Specifically, we’ll discuss how to properly roast a duck and finally I’ll tell you what type of cut of duck to buy. There are so many things to know when it comes to roasting a duck. While I have successfully roasted duck several times, I’m sure there are some other people out there that could do it better. Hopefully after reading this article, you’ll be able to decide which type of roast you want and how to do it the right way.
Steps to Cook a Delicious Homemade Roast Duck
- Before you even start cooking, make sure that the skin on the duck is easily removed. This is important because the skin adds moisture to the meat.
- It also protects the meat from the elements, which I tend to hate. So, remove the skin before starting the roast.
- After removing the skin, I would suggest you choose your choice of cut. Typically, a piece of duck is only good when it has been white breast meat. However, if you like a lighter roast, go with a feathered breast piece.
- For the best result, I would choose a feathered breast roast over a plain one because of the greater amount of spices added.
- The addition of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and allspice really enhances the dish.
Now it’s time to put the chicken in the pot and cover until the liquid begins to boil. During this time, you will want to brown the meat. When it’s browned, it’s time to remove the meat from the pot. Pour off as much of the broth as possible. Then, use a slotted spoon to transfer the meat into the pot, making sure all the bones are left in tact.
Bring the water to a boil while you continue to brown the meat. Remove the chicken from the pot, allowing any excess broth to drain off. Use a couple of tablespoons of the reserved broth to cook the remaining vegetables in the meantime. Once the vegetables are done, add the roasted and cut the duck into the pan along with a tablespoon or two of Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil again, uncovering the chicken at the end for an easy serving.
How to cook a delicious homemade roast doesn’t have to be a difficult task. A little preparation and imagination go a long way. Once you have mastered this basic recipe, you can expand by putting your own twist on it or trying some of the other recipes out there. If you’re up for some creativity, try roasting chestnuts, suckers, or even a variety of spicy ingredients such as chopped chipotle and chili pepper.